I may sound like a broken record, but you have heard me say this before – lighting and tile are truly the accents in a space that bring in the pop, the accent and the personality. Lighting is the jewelry and tile is the texture. Tile is important, whether it be eye-catching kitchen backsplash or the only material bringing texture into a bathroom. With tile, you gain color, texture and pattern, but we really rely on tile for its texture. Instead of allowing everything to wash out, make sure you have contrast with your tile. Contrast can be created with color, texture, dimension, depth, size and pattern. Colored grouts and glass grouts are another great way to make your room or area stand out!
Tile design ideas
• 3-dimensional tiles add a new quality of texture that make for great backsplashes and focal walls!
• Large scale tiles- these look more sculptural and the larger the tiles, the less grout!
• Glass grouts add shimmer and sparkle in those special places!
• Floor to ceiling tile REALLY makes a statement- go bold or go home!
• Accent with liner tiles- contrast your color or combine glass and stone to grab your eye!
• Pattern or picture frame- there are so many great tile options, so create art with your tile design!
If you listen to me at all, please don’t look at tile as if it’s your easy way out. In other words, please do not use a 3×6 white subway tile in your kitchen. Pretty please. There are so many new and improved options above and beyond the basic, overused, and overdone. Tile and lighting decisions take your energy, so let me help you create something special so that I don’t come back and say, “What tile TILE?!”