It is proven that bringing the outdoors in is calming, comforting and inspiring for people- an innate contribution to a space. As humans, we are intrinsically drawn to nature, so if you are forced to be indoors, you might as well bring nature in, which means daylight, wood and greenery!
For commercial spaces, being nature inspired allows you to design creatively, with free forms that can help you brand your space.
Nature in Design
- Use colors that tie into the view outside your window. If you do not have a view, create a nature inspired palette by channeling your favorite terrain, fauna or flora through a color palette.
- Incorporate wood, water or textures that resemble the materials and textures outdoors.
- Add art and greenery that enhance your nature-themed space.
- Look for lighting, fabric patterns and motifs that reflect and resemble ones that you will find outdoors.
- Don’t think literal- many nature forms are abstract and still offer the grounding, relaxing and stimulating sense of nature.
- Add organic touches and textures- throw blankets, woven baskets and knobby pillows.
Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore offer inspiration boards that include an inspirational image of a coastal view, flower or nature scene with a corresponding color palette. This will help give me an idea of what you want the space to FEEL like, because color is what creates ambiance, affects your mood and makes you feel a certain way. Use descriptive words to explain how you want the space to feel and that will leave big color clues.
We have a perfect example of a nature inspired design. Check out Thrive Family Dental in our portfolio>>